Why Choose Solid Oak Flooring?
Solid oak flooring is one of the most popular solid hardwood flooring options, and for good reason too. Timeless and luxurious in look and feel, but durable and hard-wearing too, a solid oak floor is a premier product that adds value and will last generations.
- Appearance: Solid oak flooring offers a distinctive straight and swirling grain that is set against oak's unmistakable honeyed tone. Natural rays and knotting give that traditional and classic appearance meaning each oak plank is unique to your home.
- Durability: The durability of solid oak floors is what provides its long-term value. Once laid, solid oak floors are hard-wearing, and are not liable to warping or buckling. They can also be sanded down and refinished several times to maintain their appearance.
- Versatile: Solid oak flooring pairs perfectly with traditional and modern interiors. Our range of solid oak flooring is also available in a variety of colours and finishes to suit your desired look.
What Rooms are Best Suited to Solid Oak Flooring?
Due to its high durability and hardiness, solid oak flooring is best in high traffic areas such as hallways, stairways, and family spaces such as living rooms. Due to the humid conditions found in bathrooms or the likelihood of spillages in kitchens, we recommend against solid oak flooring in these spaces. We recommend against using Solid Wood if you have underfloor heating, with the exception of Junckers Solid Wood. Check out our Room Suitability Guide for more detailed advice.
Solid Oak Floorboard Thickness
We believe in long-lasting, quality floors, that's why all our solid oak floors are at least 14mm thick. Thicker boards feel more premium underfoot, but also mean they can be sanded down and refinished several times, increasing the floor's lifespan. However, if you're replacing a shallow floor like a carpet, you may want to go for a thinner option to avoid awkward height differences between areas.
Solid Oak Floor Finishes
The finish is the varnish-like layer that is applied to the solid oak floorboards which emphasises its appearance whilst giving it some extra protection:
- Satin Lacquer: The satin finish is slightly glossy and offers resistance to splashes and scratches.
- Matt Lacquer: A matt finish gives a natural, elegant, and less glossy coating to a solid oak wood floor. It is also more scratch-resistant and protective again sunlight discolouration than oiled finishes.
- Natural Oil: A natural oil finish is the most traditional treatment for solid oak floors and gives a natural and classic look.
- Unfinished: Some of our solid oak floors are supplied unprotected, natural and ready for any finish you want to apply.
Are Solid Oak Floors Hard To Maintain?
All our solid oak floors are built to last and are easy to maintain. They are protected against abrasions but for general up-keep, sweep or vacuum solid oak flooring regularly. Do not use a steam cleaner, wet mop, or bleach-based products to avoid damaging your floor. Show it some TLC and a solid oak floor will last for decades. For more detailed care advice read our Real Wood Floor Maintenance Guide.
How Can I Order Free Samples?
To get a free sample of solid wood flooring follow these simple steps:
- Find the floors you like and click the green 'Order Sample' button.
- Select whether you would like a standard (110mm x 1 board width) or large (300mm x 1 board width) sample.
- We dispatch your sample within 24hrs, and standard samples are sent 1st Class with Royal Mail and large samples are sent by courier.
For details, click Order Samples.
Our standard delivery service is free on orders over £599 otherwise delivery is £29.99. Junckers floors will incur a £199 delivery fee.
For full details, visit Delivery Service.