Benefits of Extra Wide Wood Flooring
Extra wide wood flooring is defined by each plank having a width of 189mm or more. These extra wide planks create an open and spacious look whilst being tough and durable to withstand everyday wear and tear.
A key benefit of extra wide wood flooring is that it helps increase the perceived size of a room. Due to the extra width of the planks, this decreases the number of planks required to be laid which in turn, decreases the number of joins on the floor. This gives the impression that the space is less cluttered, presenting the space as more flowing and continuous.
The plywood construction of extra wide engineered wood flooring means these large planks are protected from warping and curving as the layered construction gives added rigidity. Read more about the toughness and durability of engineered wood flooring.
Extra wide wood flooring means there are fewer wooden floor planks required to be fitted per square metre of floor compared to narrower planks. And this reduces the time necessary to install the floor. For further installation information see our installation advice.
A plank that covers a greater surface area means that the natural grain, rings and knots of the wood become more prominent allowing the natural character of the wood to be better displayed. This uniqueness increases the visual appeal of extra-wide wood flooring especially aiding natural, modern and rustic design plans.
What Wood Species Are Available In Extra Wide Wood Flooring?
Extra wide oak flooring
Oak is by far the most popular choice of wood species for extra wide flooring. This is because the rays and knotting give a traditional and classic appearance that is enriched by extra wide planks. Extra-wide oak flooring is distinctive for its straight and swirling graining patterns which can have a silvery texture.
What Rooms are Best Suited to Wide Wood Flooring?
High traffic areas
Extra wide wood flooring is suitable for areas such as hallways, living rooms and family spaces that see plenty of footfall. Whilst being exceptionally tough and durable, extra wide engineered wood flooring can also be sanded down and refinished several times to extend the flooring's lifespan.
Open plan spaces
For large, open plan spaces, extra wide wood flooring is ideal. The extra wide planks mean any large area is perceived even greater than it already is due to the more unbroken pattern. Over a larger surface area, the character of the wood that is brought out by extra wide wood flooring is also multiplied.
For smaller rooms the extra wide wood flooring makes a room feel roomier and airier. The extra wide planks, by reducing the number of planks required in a room, means the room looks less busy. This can, in turn, provide greater flexibility with the interior design as the flooring is less likely to conflict with existing furniture, fixtures and fittings.
Check out our Room Suitability Guide for more detailed advice on what floors are best where.
What Finishes Are Available For Extra Wide Wood Flooring?
Our extra wide engineered wood flooring is available in several finishes that enhance the visuals of the wood in different ways whilst also providing varying levels of protection:
- Matt Lacquer: A matt lacquer gives a natural coating to your floor whilst also increasing its resistance to scratches and water.
- Natural Oil: The most traditional treatment that is easy to reapply and offers a classic look. However, it provides less protection against water and sunlight compared to lacquered flooring.
- Satin Lacquer: Satin lacquer confers the same level of protection against sunlight, water and scratching as matt lacquer, however, it provides a glossier, smoother finish.
- Unfinished: Some of our extra wide wood flooring is unfinished meaning you can apply the finish of your choice post-purchase.
Read more about engineered wood flooring finishes..
How Can I Order Free Samples?
To get a free sample of extra wide wood flooring follow these simple steps:
- Find the floors you like and click the green 'Order Sample' button.
- Select whether you would like a standard (110mm x 1 board width) or large (300mm x 1 board width) sample.
- We dispatch your sample within 24hrs, and standard samples are sent 1st Class with Royal Mail and large samples are sent by courier.
For details, visit our Order Samples page.